10.08.2005

Mud, Football and High Expectations

Son#1 had a football game today. I wasn't really all that excited about it because it was an away game (about an hour from us) and they haven't won a game yet. But come to find out the other 7-8 year old team here got all the kids who played last year, greedy asses! Well the team we were playing today, Wilmington Island, came here to play the other team last Saturday. Let me tell you, they looked sharp! Their uniforms are all cool and shiny, they even have the kids names on the back and the team name on the front. They had decorations on their helmets. Needless to say, this city has money to spend on their kids!! Our boys are wearing plain, used uniforms. The jerseys are just a plain color with their number, the helmets are plain white and they have these ugly white pants (that are impossible to keep spotless). Here's a pic for demonstration:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining all that much. Our boys, who are almost all kids of deployed soldiers, play for free. So, when your kids play for free you can't expect them to look like pro-players. So, anyway, I figured since these kids are obviously wearing expensive uniforms that must mean they would play on a super-sized mega look-how-much-money-we-spend-on-our-kids field. WRONG! I pulled up and my jaw dropped. That field didn't even look like a football field. Seriously. All it was was a grass field with some faded white lines painted on it, some sad looking goal posts, and two sets of rundown broken bleachers. Not even a scoreboard! And, I can be such a bitch... I said, "Well we see what they spend all their money on." Even worse than this sorry looking field is that it was a poorly maintained field. There was a giant fireant hill on the 27 yard line.
The weather didn't help much either. We have had a lovely lady named Tropical Storm Tammy visiting with us this week. All I can say is that we are soaked and flooded. So we get to this field and it is one big nasty mudbog. And not just any mud, mind you, but horrific-smelling muck! It smelled like our boys were going to be playing in sewage, in their can't-stay-clean white pants. What we didn't know was that in all that mud were fireants, pissed off and out for blood. Those poor boys were not only soaking wet and covered in mud but they were battling fireants too! The game had to be stopped a couple of times so someone could run out and knock the ants off their legs. I didn't take my camera since I expected it to rain. So I don't have any pics of just how muddy my son was. I made him take his jersey, cleats and socks off before I let him in the car. But his back and legs were still covered. Luckily I'm extremely anal about my car so I had a sheet in the trunk for him to sit on.
But the best part about the day was that they won!!! 13-6 Their first win. They were so happy!
I am currently washing his pants, with a buttload of bleach to get them somewhere close to white again. Who decided that white pants were a good idea for kids football???!!! Morons!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home